National School Lunch Week October 15-19, 2018
Mark your calendar for National School Lunch Week—October 15-19, 2018! The #NSLW18 theme is “School Lunch: Lots 2 Love,” which was designed to help students and school nutrition professionals connect and share what each loves most about school lunch with parents, school officials, the media and the general public. Start planning your celebration today—get started with the help of our resources.
Why participate in NSLW?
Recognizing NSLW in your district or your cafeteria helps you:
- Increase student participation
- Spread the message to parents that you’re serving healthy, delicious lunch at school
- Earn media coverage from local papers, TV stations, and bloggers
- Connect with teachers and administrators at your school or in your district to spread the word that school meals are healthy and delicious
What if the timing doesn’t work for us?
NSLW 2018 is scheduled for October 15-19 by an act of Congress, but if you have a student holiday or teacher work day during that week you can celebrate anytime! The week before, or the week after—it’s up to you!
Let’s Get Started
NSLW 2018 Toolkit
Download the NSLW 2018 Toolkit with 14 pages of resources and ideas to help you plan a successful campaign.
Download the NSLW activity sheets (pdf) and encourage students to work through the activities with classmates.
The NSLW 2018 Infographic contains key information for parents about the NSLW program and the healthy options available for school lunch. Download and print copies to hand out or share the electronic version.
Merchandise and Products
Now available—new Lots 2 Love merchandise in the SNA Emporium Shop! We’ve got lots of new items you will love in every price range, from roomy tote bags and water bottles to heart tattoos and keychains, along with our best-selling t-shirts, aprons, posters and activity guides.
School Lunch: “Lots 2 Love” Logo and Artwork
To request artwork and logos, just complete the short online form. You can instantly download the logos, and you will also receive links via email.
Use these images on menus, social media, in newsletters, and on your website.* For additional guidance on appropriate usage, please contact SNA’s Service Center via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 877-8822.
*Please note that logos are not to be used in the design of any merchandise, or to explicitly, or implicitly, endorse a particular product or service. The Emporium is SNA’s sole provider of official association merchandise and materials.
- Make the cafeteria feel special with signs, banners, balloons, or music.
- Provide free samples on the lunch line.
- Work with teachers to make MyPlate, Let’s Move and healthy eating part of the curriculum.
- Send a letter or email home to parents about NSLW and contact the PTA.
- Host a special challenge, presentation, or event in the cafeteria.
- Use special menus during NSLW to highlight all of the healthy options.
- Rename your menu staples for the week of NSLW to make them more fun.
- Decorate the cafeteria with photo-themed decorations.
- Invite local athletes (high school or college) to attend lunch in uniform and eat with the kids!
- Invite parents to come to the cafeteria for lunch!
Invite Parents to Lunch
Want to convince parents that school lunch has changed since they were in school? Invite them to come experience it themselves!
SNA has teamed up with KIWI magazine for National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day. On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 (or really any day during NSLW that works best for you) we encourage you to host “National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day” and invite parents to attend lunch with their children.
KIWI has partnered with the School Nutrition Association and created a handy checklist to help make Lunch Day a success in your community. Click here to download our tips.
Share Your Celebration
Send us your stories and photos after your NSLW celebration is complete and you could be featured in School Nutrition magazine! Email us your best photos and a short summary of your celebration to email@example.com.
You can also submit photos through SNA’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/schoolnutritionassociation. We may post them during #NSLW18!